Monday, October 22, 2007

 

Plot Hole

Today is a writing day. While working on my final story in the Greenville series, I discovered a plot hole. One of my characters is part American Indian, African-American, and white. He is dark-skinned. He served in the military during World War II (in the Marines). I had him being awarded the Medal of Honor. Trouble is that only seven African-American soldiers ever received the Medal of Honor for service during World War II and they didn't get the medals until Bill Clinton's administration. Big problem there. I can't have my character receiving the Medal of Honor because the seven men who received them are distinct individuals who can be tracked down easily on the internet. It would feel like dishonoring them to add a fictional character to their ranks. So, I went online and did a little searching for medals and for the service of African-Americans in the military. Thank goodness I found this plot hole before I finished or published.

Here are a couple of links I found this morning that helped me out of my dilemma.

World War II African American Medal of Honor Recipients

Pictures of African Americans During World War II

Great photos in that second site.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?