Monday, October 08, 2007

 

I've Always Liked Crows

I've heard crows called nasty birds many times in my life - dirty, a nuisance - but I've always been rather fond of them. I have an affinity for all wild birds, but most especially black birds, crows and ravens. Perhaps it comes from reading Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" over and over as a kid, but I can't be sure.

When I was in kindergarten, I found a dead crow and felt sorry for it, so I put it in my school bag and brought it home. Scared my mom half to death when she saw it.

I ran across an article on National Geographic's website today, one that explains how several New Caledonian crows have been fitted with tiny cameras to track their behavior and how scientists are finding that these crows use tools much more than previously believed. How can you not like a bird that's so smart?




Labels: , , , , , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?