Friday, October 05, 2007

 

Eczema

Ever read a story that sticks with you? I don't mean stickiness in the overt that-was-cool sort of way, but in the subtle nagging-at-you-like-you've-left-something-undone sort of way.

I'm reading a collection of short stories called "Logorrhea: Good Words Make Good Stories," edited by John Klima. Each author had to write a story based on winning words from the Scripps National Spelling Bee. The story that's sticking with me is "Eczema" by Clare Dudman. The gist of the story is about a young man whose sister has died. He doesn't fit into regular society, but I'm not going to tell you why. The story involves three neighbor women dressed in black that the man's sister used to call crows. The ending of the story left me unsettled, like I want to continue the story. That's why it's sticking with me.

Labels: , , , , , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?