Wednesday, April 18, 2007

 

Favorite Nonfiction

Time for another book list. This time I'm covering nonfiction. I read waaaaay more nonfiction than fiction, and no matter what I read, a little of each book rubs off on me. These happened to rub off a lot. They are in no particular order.

Conversations with God, Book I - by Neale Donald Walsch - This book changed my worldview, especially the point God, speaking through Neale, makes about Hitler going to heaven.

Brand Hijack by Alex Wipperfurth - Consumers take over!

Spunk & Bite by Arthur Plotnick - Snappy little book about breaking writing rules.

On Writing Well by William Zinsser - Good, solid writing advice.

On Writing by Stephen King - Enjoyable, with excellent advice on how to deal with criticism.

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell - I so want to prove the tipping point in some way.

Baby & Childcare by Dr. Benjamin Spock - Saved us from a screaming infant.

Yoga for Wimps by Miriam Austin - Easy yoga with a low time commitment. Made me limber.

The Long Tail by Chris Anderson - Liked the premise of this book, but now the term is used so much that I'm starting to get sick of it.

Beyond the Writers Workshop by Carol Bly - Made me not put as much stock in other people's opinions of my writing.

Anything by Brenda Ueland - She was a Minnesota writer who was full of moxie. One of the first women in her community to wear pants in public. She coined the term "moodling."

Anything by Seth Godin - Energetic, good ideas, tries to get businesses to be remarkable, instead of half-assed.

Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch & James F. Balch - The Bible of healthcare options in our house.

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen - Along with being straight-out fascinating, this helped me see how history is told through the voice of the victors.

The Dictionary and the Thesaurus - any will do - they are indispensible.

Okay, your turn. What are your favorite nonfiction books?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?