Sunday, October 29, 2006

 

Fickle

The Washington Post published an article recently that makes me want to say, "Aha! Gotcha!" It's called "In Teens' Web World, MySpace Is So Last Year," and discusses how MySpace is losing popularity among teens. It never ceases to amaze me how companies fall all over their tongues in attempting to get to the 18-34 demographic, a group not known for its constancy. While this demographic as a whole may bring in some big bucks, its fickleness doesn't bode well for the long-term success of businesses that cater solely to it.

Even more than giving me a self-satisfied "I told you so" feeling, what struck me was a comment by high schooler Evan Hansen at the very end of the article:

"Over time, people are going to get sick of talking to people on the computer," he said. "I just think people will want to spend more time with each other -- without the wall of technology."

Here, here! We can all spend our time rushing to adopt every ounce of technology thrown at us at the speed of light, completely eschewing physical reality, or we can relax and enjoy a balance of both the physical and digital worlds. I'm going for the latter. Who's with me?

Labels: , , , , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?